The aquaponics system
Aquaponics is an innovative and intelligent production system for sustainable development. It is intended to integrate aquaculture with hydroponic vegetable cultures.
This method can play a significant role in the future of environmental and socio-economic sustainability of smart cities.
Furthermore, these cities intend to mobilize all knowledge centers and information and communication technologies (ICT) into innovation poles in order to strengthen socio-economic progress.
Nowadays, the production, transport and logistics of foodstuffs require high costs. In addition, the transportation and harvesting of food comes from different regions of the world to the cities, combined with highly polluting technologies.
Aquaponics hence plays a key role in enabling local, fresh, pesticide-free and healthy production with short supply chains in cities. By this fact, aquaponics meets several objectives of sustainable development.
Aquaponics and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Eradicate hunger, ensure food security, improve nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Aquaponics can effectively produce food for all and generate a decent income.
- It also supports development focused on rural areas and environmental protection.
Goal 6 :
- Ensure access to water and sanitation for everyone and provide sustainable management of water resources.
- And finally, saving water by reusing it and treating it so that it is clean for fish and plants allows for sustainable water management.
Goal 9 :
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization that benefits all, and encourage innovation.
- The 1H203 package presents a simple and modelable infrastructure.
- Moreover, it is built with 100% renewable recyclable materials.
Goal 12 :
- Build sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Aquaponics does allow for sustainable consumption patterns with fish and vegetables.Aquaponics does indeed allow sustainable consumption patterns with fish and vegetables.
Goal 14 :
- To conserve and develop the oceans, seas and marine resources in a sustainable manner for the purpose of sustainable development.
- The installation of aquaponics is a laboratory of a better management of our halieutic resources and the possibility of symbiosis between aquaculture and market gardening.
Goal 15 :
- Preserve and rehabilitate terrestrial ecosystems, ensuring that they are used in a sustainable manner.
- Sustainable forest management.
- Fight against desertification.
- Preventing and reversing land degradation and halting the loss of biodiversity.
- Aquaponics is also a technique for saving fish.