Nowadays, more and more people want their aquaponics system. This is no wonder. Using a system that can grow plants and fish in a clean, closed system with very little work is attractive. Professional prefabricated aquaponics systems can be very expensive. This is why many enthusiasts have resorted to creating their own aquaponics system. The results are truly diverse and creative.
Making your own aquaponicssystem at home is now possible. Ready-to-use kits are available to set up an aquaponics system on a larger or smaller scale for individuals. This makes aquaponics very flexible, as these kits can be used on a balcony, in a garden, or even in an apartment.
Whatever the materials used, all aquaponics kits have the following in common:
- A pond to receive fish, there are different sizes and different shapes. The choice of material used prevents fluctuations in pH and ammonia levels, as well as contamination problems.
- A cultivation tank, the volume of which depends on that of the fish tank.
- The substrates that fill the growing tank. They constitute the space of growth and the support of the plants. The most commonly used substrates are gravels, or clay balls, which facilitate the good circulation of water.
- A water pump, used to carry water from the aquarium to the grow tank, characterized by a given flow rate.
- An air pump, to blow air into the water of the tank for fish and plants.
- An irrigation system, which consists of controlling the flow of water in an in and out system.