Like the drum filter, the MBBR is used in aquaculture. For optimal biological treatment in aquaculture, it must be combined with:
- solids removal
- additional disinfection.
Aquaculture effluents contain various pollutants such as:
- ammoniacal nitrogen
- suspended solids
These elements can significantly disturb the ecosystem if discharged without treatment. It is essential to manage them properly to protect the environment.
The most suitable installation for the filtration of Koi ponds is without hesitation the drum filter. It offers a high quality filtration with low maintenance and low cost (see Drum Filter)
If you want vibrant koi and optimal water quality, this filter is highly recommended. This is to treat carbon and nitrogen, which can affect the quality of your pond.
Although your drum filter can work independently without the MBBR, the reverse is not true. Indeed, biological treatment requires an upstream mechanical filter. Without this, unfiltered particles attach to the filter media, promoting the rapid growth of heterotrophic bacteria. This harms the efficiency of the MBBR, which relies on autotrophic bacteria. As a result, the efficiency of your MBBR linked to these famous autotrophic bacteria will be greatly impaired.
Biological treatment for ponds
To succeed in breeding a species, the choice of media is crucial. Start by determining the specific needs of your fish for their well-being. Then you can choose which type of media will be the most interesting to get the ideal environment.
Optimize the efficiency of your filter by ensuring that its flow vigorously agitates the water surface. This increases the dissolved oxygen content in the water.
There are several different filter media for different purposes:
- Charcoal is ideal for eliminating odors and making the water clearer.
- For a tropical environment like the blackwaters of South America, use peat pellets. They acidify the water for these fish.
For the health of your fish, good filtration is crucial. Try Fluval BioMax or Fluval Bio-Foam for healthy water.
Biological treatment for aquaponics
Aquaponics is a cultivation method that combines three types of living beings: bacteria, fish and plants. This mutual benefit relationship is expressed in the following way:
- Aerobic bacteria converts nitrogen waste such as ammonia produced by fish (urea)
- plants’ roots in suspension will then absorb them
- This way, they will be provided with access to the necessary nutrients while eliminating the waste products emitted by the fish.
Although aquaponics is a fairly autonomous system, adding a drum filter can be beneficial. The substrate and roots can become clogged; a filter maintains cleanliness and reduces maintenance. This will require additional and regular maintenance.
To prevent your system from clogging, choose the right filtration. Here are some tips:
- Water temperature: In summer, the water can warm up. To prevent this, bury the filtration system.
- Energy savings: Opt for a gravity-driven system; it saves energy.
- Maintenance: Choose a filter that clogs slowly to reduce the cleaning frequency but ensures clear water.
- Bonus: If your filter collects sludge, use it as fertilizer for your plants. It’s environmentally friendly and effective.
A drum filter alone is not enough for a successful fish farm.
In aquaponics, if bacteria are insufficient, enlarge the growing space. Use MBBR technology for a healthy fish environment. The biological filter plays a key role in your system. It ensures that plants receive the nutrients they need to grow well. Additionally, it purifies the water, ensuring a healthy environment for your fish.
Biological treatment in aquaculture
Biological treatment at the entrance and exit of the fish farm
The notion of entry and exit is found in an open network. Water is pumped from the outside to fill the pond and keep the fish healthy. The water from the waste pond will therefore be released into the environment.
- An MBBR at the beginning of the fish farm is used to biologically filter the water before it reaches the pond. This filtration removes carbon, nitrogen, and other elements that could be harmful to the fish.
- And with a UV purifier, the water is also rid of harmful germs.
- This equipment guarantees a high quality hygiene and avoids geosmines (muddy taste) in the fish flesh.
- The accumulation would lead to an economic disaster for the fish farmer. Microorganisms, such as cyanobacteria or even actinomycetes, are responsible for this kind of incident. They are non-toxic producers of volatile organic compounds. Therefore, it is essential to filter these microorganisms.
A filtration system is essential at the inlet and outlet of a fish farm. Without it, fish waste could pollute the water, causing ecological problems. The MBBR is therefore recommended for clean water.
For total effectiveness, it is recommended to add a biological filtration to the aquaculture drum filter to avoid contamination.
Why biologically treat the recirculated water
By biologically treating the water, you improve the quality of the pond water for future reuse.
Biological filters are filtration techniques that use living organisms/bacteria. Their goal is to remove :
- a number of toxic water compounds
- nitrite in recirculating aquaculture systems (RAS) for fish farming
Commençons dès aujourd’hui !
Nos experts sont à votre disposition pour vous aider à sélectionner le filtre à tambour le plus adapté à votre projet! Vous pouvez faire un dimensionnement gratuit en ligne. Vous pouvez aussi nous joindre par téléphone ou par mail pour parler de votre projet!